We embarked on a mission to improve the lives of our community. We asked: Is there a better way to treat persons with heart and vascular disease?
Eat More, Stress Less, Move More, Love more.
The Research: Dr. Ornish’s 37 years of research has scientifically proven that the integrative lifestyle changes can:
- Improve chronic conditions- such as heart disease, diabetes, and prostate cancer
- Change gene expression, turning on health-promoting genes & turning off disease-promoting genes
- Lengthen telomeres- the ends of chromosomes- which begins to reverse aging on a cellular level
- Most participants have reduced medication burden
- Depression scale improved significantly
- 80% adherence: sustained weight reductions
Keep Scrolling for Ornish-approved tips, tricks, and recipes!
Jessica’s Hit and Mobility
Watch this 5 minute Hit and Mobility to do at home.
Practices that Reduce Stress: Progressive Relaxation
- Digital Detox
- Sharing Feelings
- Caring for our pets
How do you manage stress? How has it helped you?
Listening with Empathy: Try it at home!
Gather in an open room with a family member or friend.
There are two rules.
1. The person speaking shares feelings that are important to him/her.
2. The person listening expresses empathy and compassion, without judgment.
Prep Time: 60 min
- 2 C (8 OZ) onion, medium diced
- 1-2 OZ jalapeno pepper seeded, then finely minced
- 1 C (4½ OZ ) celery small diced
- 1 TSP (.2 OZ) garlic, fresh finely processed or pureed
- 1 C long grain brown rice
- 4½ C hot water
- 1 T ‘Better Than Bouillon’ No-Chicken Base
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 TSP smoked paprika
- ½ TSP dried thyme
- 1 LB black-eyed peas cooked
- ½ TSP black pepper
- 2 TSP white balsamic or champagne vinegar
- ½ C parsley, fresh chopped
optional for garnish
- Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat, add the onion, jalapeño and celery; add 2 tablespoons of water. Sauté, stirring frequently, until the onion turns translucent, about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and brown rice, and stir well for a minute, to toast.
- Add the water, No-Chicken Base, bay leaves, paprika and thyme; stir
well, bring to a simmer, cover with a lid (leaving a small vent) and continue cooking for 10 minutes.
- Add the black-eyed peas, and continue cooking until the rice is tender and fluffy, about 30-35 minutes.
Season to taste with vinegar (optional), pepper and salt.